Quiz: Can You Tell the Difference Between Rx Drugs and Science Fiction?
Wellbutrin, Lunesta, Adderall. The names of prescription medications can be a mouthful to pronounce and, even worse, too confusing to be remembered by consumers who need to know what pills they are popping. The irony is that drug-company marketing departments spend fortunes to develop names that are supposed to be consumer-friendly and are intended to evoke the promise of the drug’s effect.
Wellbutrin (an antidepressant) will make you feel well. Lunesta (an anti-insomnia drug) will make you sleepy (luna means moon in Latin). Adderall (for ADD, attention deficit disorder) will treat all the problems of ADD. Here is a sample from a telling quiz by The Week. The names listed sound like things from science fiction. Some are. Others are the names of drugs. Can you guess which are which? (Answers below.)
1. Alixia: Non-human female? Or cancer chemotherapy?
2. Arborlon: City? Or cream for itching?
3. Autloc: Aztec priest? Or blood pressure medication?
4. Caelyx: Magical being? Or cancer chemotherapy?
5. Dannyl: Magician? Or prostate medication?
1. Alixia is the sister of Neelix in an episode of Star Trek: Voyager.
2. Arborlon is a city in The Shannara Chronicles series of books by David Brooks.
3. Autloc is an Aztec priest in an episode of Dr. Who.
4. Caelyx is cancer chemotherapy (generic name doxorubicin).
5. Dannyl is a magician in The Novice, by Trudi Cannavan.
To continue with the quiz, click here.
You Might Also Like
Check out this interactive feature to get a unique sense of the current numbers—based on data from SAMHSA, the CDC and the FBI—for drug use, drug problems and more.... Read More
Sam’s struggle with schizophrenia has led to substance abuse. His doctors say medication could help get both diagnoses under control, but he finds it difficult to maintain a regular dosage... Read More
Across the nation, thousands of addiction and recovery programs offer support for those struggling with substance abuse. Approaches vary and results do, too. Is there a secret recipe to success? A... Read More
A new study into the global economic impact of different social problems makes fascinating reading.... Read More
It's America's biggest addiction-related problem. But you can protect yourself by using these practical safeguards and psychological principles.... Read More