The Daily Buzz: July 25, 2014
FDA approves new "non-abusable" painkiller; synthetic drugs like ketamine are on the rise in China; and Hillary Clinton reportedly blamed Bill's sex addiction on his abusive mother.
New “Abuse-Resistant” Opioid Painkiller Contains Naloxone
A new line of OxyContin will contain the overdose reversal drug naloxone, in order to block the euphoric effects of oxycodone and make the drug less appealing to potential addicts. But some experts worry the FDA-approved pill could do more harm than good, by letting doctors off the hook regarding prescribing practices.
Synthetic Drug Use Is Rising in China
Manufactured drugs like meth and ketamine are increasingly popular in China, where they can be ordered online and delivered as soon as an hour later. Exported Chinese synthetic drugs are also apparently in high demand in the US and European markets.
Poll: Most Americans Are Against Lowering the Drinking Age
A whopping 75% of Americans support keeping the minimum drinking age at 21—the world’s joint highest. Could those remaining 25% be… teens?
Gory, Hard-to-Watch Commercials Help Smokers Quit
Smokers are more likely to quit over fear of illness and disfigurement than fear of losing 10 or more years off their lives, according to the Office on Smoking and Health at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This was the thought process behind the CDC’s “Tips from a former smoker” campaign, launched in 2012, which features images of people with physical disfigurements.
Book: Hillary Clinton Blamed Bill’s Mom for His Sex Addiction
In 1999, a year after the Monica Lewinsky scandal, Hillary Clinton allegedly told journalist Lucinda Franks that her husband, former President Bill Clinton, was abused by his mother and it “caused” his sex addiction and infidelity. The claims are included in Franks’ “explosive” new book Timeless: Love, Morgenthau and Me (out next month, so don’t mob Barnes&Noble today).
You Might Also Like
Daily drinking more damaging to liver than bingeing, claims study; China's War on Drugs isn't working; and Cleveland Browns' Josh Gordon faces suspension after second failed drug test.... Read More
Iboga use in a religion native to Gabon.... Read More
Not what you'd expect.... Read More
Study suggests your beliefs play a large role in addiction; CDC warns against dangers of opioid use by pregnant women; and Apple and Instagram crack down on weed businesses' social media accounts.... Read More